|Registering with the Authorities
In Germany, all persons must register their address with the authorities (Meldepflicht). This must be taken care of in the first two weeks of your stay, so please make an appointment with the Welcome Center in the Citizens’ Service Office in Potsdam as soon as you arrive. If you provide us with the dates of your arrival, then we will be glad to make an appointment for you.
Welcome Center in Potsdam’s Townhall | In Potsdam, international guest scholars can take care of all important formalities pertaining to their stay at the Welcome Center in the Citizens’ Service Office/Townhall. We offer consultation in English and provide assistance while applying for all of the necessary documents:
We also offer information on cultural events, sports and educational opportunities, and tourist activities.
- official registration with the Citizens’ Service Office (Anmeldung)
- for citizens of the EU, application for a certificate of freedom of movement (Freizügigkeitsbescheinigung)
- application for certificates of good conduct (Führungszeugnis)
The Welcome Center is located in the Citizens’ Service Office on the ground floor of Potsdam’s townhall. Please inform the person at the information desk of your arrival.
Citizens’ Service Office in Potsdam| Should you not have an appointment at the Welcome Center, you can also take care of these formalities at the Citizens’ Service Office. However, consultation in English is not always possible.
- passport/personal identity card (incl. those of your family members with you in Germany, for example children’s passports)
- lease for your accommodations (if applicable)
Citizens’ Service Office
For 2013, the electronic tax identification number is going to replace the income tax certificates. This number will automatically be sent to your home after your registration. For changing your tax class etc, please refer to the local tax office.
Tax offices in Berlin
Foreigners’ Registration Office in Potsdam | The Foreigners’ Office is responsible for official matters pertaining to foreigners, including the provision and extension of residence permits (Aufenthaltserlaubnisse).
The new electronic residence permit (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel- eAT) in credit card format was introduced in September 2011. The old self-adheseive labels remain valid until 31 August 2021. The fee for obtaining an electronic residence permit increases by around 50€. Please refer here for more information.
Please apply for a new residence permit in a timely manner, if possible between six and eight weeks prior to the expiration of your current visa or residence permit. Applying and obtaining the electronic residence permit requires two personal visits to the Foreigners' Office. Please make an appointment prior to visiting the office in order to avoid long waiting periods.
Foreigners’ Registration Office in Potsdam
Thursday: 9-12h / 13-16h
- application form
- certificates of proof of residence (Meldebestätigung), to be obtained upon registration with the Citizens’ Service Office
- passport-sized picture (biometric)
- lease for your accommodations
- certificate of study (if applicable)
- proof of adequate financial resources (employment contract, scholarship, private savings)
- proof of a valid health insurance policy (Krankenversicherungsnachweis)
- for families, marriage certificate and declaration of common residency
Authorities in the Region
Citizens’ Service Offices in Berlin | Registering with the authorities in Berlin takes place in the Citizens’ Service Office (Bürgeramt) of the respective district in which you live. Please refer here for more information.
Foreigners’ Registration Office in Berlin | The Foreigners’ Office (Ausländerbehörde) in Berlin is very busy and there are oftentimes long queues. Therefore, you should make an individual appointment prior to going to the Foreigners’ Office.
Foreigners’ Registration Office in Berlin
application form for the residence permit
Authorities in the Potsdam Mittelmark Region
Please refer here for more information on the citizens’ services in the Potsdam Mittelmark region.
Citizens' Service Werder/Havel
Tel. +49 3327.7830
Thursday: 8 -18h
Foreigners’ Office in Werder/Havel
Am Gutshof 1-7
Monday, Wednesday, Friday: appointment only
Tuesday: 9-12h / 13-18h
Thursday: 9-12h / 13-15.30h